[H-GEN] Monitors

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org
Mon Aug 4 01:20:22 EDT 2003

Quoting Robert Stanford <rob at rotapile.com>:

> I have a pair of 19" Sun fixed frequency monitors (GDM 1962B) from some
> old Sparcs and am wondering how they stack up against modern
> equivalents.

I think you'll find that like a 20" SGI GDM 20D11 monitor we have here, they
need a fixed frequency video card using a 13W3 interface.

> Also if they are worth using, how to to get them to work on
> a vga port and if so, where localy can I get appropriate adaptors?

You can get adaptors to convert between DSUB & 13W3, they appear on Ebay from
time to time, however, the video card needs to be able to do sync-on-green, and
maintain a fixed frequency.

These cards can be a pain to set up though, we're still arguing with a Mirage
MMC Ultra 3D (64MB S3 Savage 2000 AGP) card that we got to use with the SGI.
The performance wasn't so great under Windows 2000, we've also discovered that
the wonderful tool, monitor.exe we need to use, won't run under Win2K (as it's a
DOS app), and the SGI monitor doesn't want anything to do with this card.

So we have one machine that is stuck with a 17" monitor (Samsung SyncMaster
17GLsi) because it's the only monitor that can accept the high (100Hz) refresh rate.

So yeah, be careful where you look.  I've been stung before.

| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No:           Course: Bachelor/IT (Nathan) |