[H-GEN] Allowable chars in a host name?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Aug 4 00:12:14 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Michael Anthon wrote:

> In case Edwin's (quite correct of course) quote didn't make sense... it
> meant letters, numbers and hyphens (-) with the extra limitation that
> host names should start with letters only (not a number or hyphen).  I
> was amused when Taubmans recently ran an ad campaign quoting their
> website as 603010.com.au.  Obviously it does work... but it's not
> strictly a valid hostname.

There used to be a restriction on a domainname starting with a numeral.
I believe this restriction was lifted some years ago (don't haven an rfs
reference on me), meaning that this is now a valid domainname.  Yes, it is
a scary world :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net