[H-GEN] Why no keyboard with NO Window Manager ?

Mark Corben mcorben at bigpond.com
Fri Apr 25 00:08:36 EDT 2003

  I want to set up a number of Redhat 7.x Linux  boxes so that the user
logins and is presented with only a browser application (Phoenix). When
the user exits the browser either they are presented with a login xdm
screen or the application is restarted (I am still looking at alternatives).

Initially I have modified the $HOME/.xinitrc  file for the user so that
no Window Manager is started and only the application is started.
In this set up once they exit the user is returned to xdm screen.

When the user is logged in he/she is able to use the browser via the
buttons HOWEVER the user cannot use the keyboard to type any URL into
the application.

I have set up the same scenario using an xterm and an X application and
even Netscape as the default application and with this the user can type
but if I use konqueror or Phoenix (a non X app) the keboard is not
recognised.

Any ideas ??

MArk