[H-GEN] OS suggestions wanted for WiFi on a laptop

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Apr 22 10:43:53 EDT 2003

> For anyone who hasn't played with it yet, Knoppix (3.2 is the latest
> release) is great for testing out this sort of stuff.  It's based on
Debian
> and boots off a CD, no need to install anything and comes with a fairly
> comprehensive set of drivers and a surprisingly good job at auto
detection.

OK, just for kicks I tested out the network booting option for Knoppix.
Booted my desktop from the CD and enabled the "Knoppix Terminal Server".
This is actually a combination of dhcp, tftp and a few other things to
provide pxe network booting for other machines.  Fired up my wife's laptop
(IBM T30, supports PXE booting from the BIOS) and it booted from LTSP
running on my linux box... disabled the dhcp server on that machine (DOH)
and tried again and it booted quite happily (if a little slowly since it NFS
mounts the CDROM image).  Pretty easy, took less than 10 minutes to do.  If
your lappie doesn't support PXE I'm pretty sure there are PXE based boot
floppies available.

Cheers
Michael