[H-GEN] Smoothwall dialling problem

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Fri Apr 18 13:21:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:47, Ewan Edwards wrote:

> Ever since applying fixes 19, 20, and 21[1] a friends Smoothwall 0.9.9SE has
> had this strange problem trying to dial the ISP.  After rebooting the
> Smoothwall the first attempt to connect to the internet works exactly as
> expected, and so does the disconnect.
>
> The second attempt to connect also works as expected, but the disconnect
> doesn't work as expected.  The second disconnect does actually result in the
> modem disconnecting, but the Smoothwall management interface shows it as
> still connected.  Any further attempt to connect or disconnect has no visible
> result.  If the Smoothwall is rebooted at this point, the next connect
> attempt works as expected.
>
> Fixes 1, 2, and 3 for Smoothwall GPL 1.0 have since been applied in the hope
> that may clear the problem.
>
> I've not yet had a chance to have a look at this myself, so I was wondering if
> this sort of problem has been seen before or if anyone can suggest where to
> start looking to fix.
>
> If it comes to the crunch, I'll take a spare cdrom drive and a copy of GPL 1.0
> around to do a new install.  (GPL 2.0 is still in beta is it not?)

Fixes4 for GPL 1.0 addresses this issue, and it provides the snort 2.0
upgrade that addresses the recently discovered snort vulnerability.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Manager                         Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Quark AudioVisual               Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
Quark Computers
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/