[H-GEN] RUXCON

Trent WADDINGTON s337240 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 14 23:20:34 EDT 2003

Anyone else head down to Syndey on the weekend?  The conference was good,
if not a little poorly organised.  My vote for best speech was "GSM
Operator Security" by Emmanuel Gadaix who showed that your favourite telco
is so far behind the curve with security that 1988 style attacks still
work (got your war dialer and your x.25 skills up to snuff?) where-as the
rewards for advanced hackers are unlimited.  Runner up must go to Silvio,
who presented his audit of various open source kernels that he did last
year.  Basically all the open source kernels had a large number (80+) of
integer overflow errors, most of which can lead to security
vulnerabilities.  The talk was too technical with one security bug
blurring into the other by the end of it, and required sumation.

I hope they have another conference next year.

Trent