[H-GEN] Linux backup tool of choice

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 10 14:18:21 EDT 2003

Bruce Campbell <bc at humbug.org.au> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Although, with the size of disks these days, you can usually just dedicate
> > a bunch of space on the disk to be a snapshot of your active set -- ie:
> Its still single point of failure.

It's also an acceptable level of risk for a pretty large number of
people.  Making backups is all about the level of risk you're willing
to be comfortable with.

> You want _another_ disk, preferably within a separate machine (each
> can do snapshots for the other), and for greater preference, at
> another site.

After all, unless the other site is in another city/country/planet it
could still be taken out by massive power failure[1]/civil
disorder/attacks by space aliens.

jason

[1] : As we had in Rochester just under a week ago.  160,000 people
      without power, some of them will continue to be without for > 1
      week.
--
``I didn't program you for sarcasm.''