questionable practices (was Re: [H-GEN] Which ADSL provider ?)

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 6 01:19:45 EST 2003

At 23:12 05/04/2003 -0500, Jason wrote:
>Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> writes:
> > Tech support told us that ssh is allowed to be open, and every other
> > port should be closed. I've never seen them check either. I had a
> > wide open dns port for several months and never received an email
> > about it. Ditto for SMTP.
>
>Any reason you had DNS and SMTP open?  Those are two of the less
>useful ports I can think of to leave open on a cable network.

It was an accident that I didn't pick up until I asked a friend to portscan
me. I was very surprised though that he could see that I had open ports and
OptusNet had never sent us an email about it. They make a big issue that
they portscan us for our own 'protection' but they'd never picked it up.
Very strange that.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au