questionable practices (was Re: [H-GEN] Which ADSL provider ?)

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 4 03:27:16 EST 2003

At 13:38 04/04/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>Im running OpenBSD on my gateway.  I have a hunch that optus come across it
>in a scan every couple of months, and do something to the cable modem, that
>makes it fail until i power it on with a windows box attached, and restart it
>again with the gw.

We have no such problems with our debian b0x. I can't remember the last
time we attached a windows b0x to the cable modem actually.

>Or it may be to do with the fact that I have port ssh/https open .....
>(although I did tell them before signing that I needed ssh access, their
>engineer said it shouldn't  be a problem).

Tech support told us that ssh is allowed to be open, and every other port
should be closed. I've never seen them check either. I had a wide open dns
port for several months and never received an email about it. Ditto for SMTP.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au