[H-GEN] dpkg statistics & Re: altering disk partitions

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 23:36:12 EST 2003

Marco Grigull <kni501ss at optushome.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

[reclaiming disk space on Debian systems...]

> When I originally sliced up the system, I alocated about 3 GB for /,
> and 20 GB for /usr/disk1, which contains home, usr/{src,local,games},
> apt-package caches, webserver root, etc. to which the root fs has symbolic
> links to.   With 'just the os' on /root, one would have hoped 3 GB
> would be enough.  Guess not.

Debian can be a bit of a disk hog.

I have a 3G system at home that I try to keep fairly small; it has
TeX, OpenOffice, Mozilla etc and is around 80% full.

My main ork system is 20gig and *always* filling up.

One source of disk wastage is if you install some dinky app to try it
out, and then remove it again, you often have libraries left over that
are no longer needed.  Since you never have to re-install to upgrade
debian, this problem only gets worse over time.

There is a debian tool available which lists out all library packages
which have no dependant binaries.   Alas, I forget what it's called.

--cjb
--
 Christopher J Biggs \  chris at epipe.com.au  \ Vice-Pope Torture & Indulgences
 ePipe Pty Ltd        \ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology