[H-GEN] Kernel Woes

Scott Pullen spullen at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 27 09:00:09 EDT 2002

Firstly let it be said that I am an idiot.  Now with that out of the way
hopefully someone can help me with this problem.

The distro I am using is RH 7.3 .  I have tried their site and can find
nothing that would suggest they have a problem with the Makefile.

I want to create backups of my boxes.  So I tried to use my cd-rw with no
success as I didn't have scsi-ide emulation compiled into the kernel, module
or hardcoded.  SO I decided to try and make a custom kernel to support the
modules necessary to allow me to burn cd's.

What is the first thing that they say when playing with the kernel????
Backup!!!!!!  Bit of a catch 22.  So I played anyway.  Some fits and starts
and then the worst thing I could imagine ... well almost ... the Makefile
somehow glitched (probably user error) and wiped all previous working
versions of the kernel(3) that I had.

So the situation now is that I have a kernel that is incomplete.  It now
does have the scsi-ide emulation support if I read kmesg right but does not
have socket support.  The line in kmesg reads something like:

sd - not supported in kernel!!!

Or words to that effect.

This, of course, tends to make networking a little difficult.  I have double
checked all the options when using the make xconfig command when in the
/usr/src/linux-2.4 directory.  I have tried using the help in the GUI and I
have read the tips from three different books and they all seem to agree
with the options I have selected.

Any suggestions as to the line I should look for in the .config file to see
if the option is at least requested.  Then I will work my way up to try and
workout were the process fails.  All helpful :~)3 suggestions appreciated.

Oh and by the way, why doesn't the Makefile support installation of the new
image using grub as well as lilo?  Grub seems to be the recommended
bootloader for this version of the distro?

Cheers,

Scott.