[H-GEN] U.P.S

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Mon Sep 16 17:39:51 EDT 2002

>David Duffy <david at audiovisualdevices.com.au> writes:
>
> > I've got 4 of the APC units (of various sizes) and they seem to do
> > the job.  Pricing starts from about $250 IIRC. I think there's even
> > Linux software available for some of them too.

Jason:
>I can vouch for the APC units; I've seen them at work, and while the
>documentation for the particular model I saw left a little to be
>desired (right Brad?) it was basically good.
>
>This brings me to a question I've been wanting to have answered for a
>few months now.  Is it actually possible/feasible to buy a UPS for
>the home environment that will protect the computer(s) plugged into it
>from a `direct' (FSVO) lightning strike?

Nothing is guaranteed with lightning. It can strike a line, jump right around
whatever protection you have and still whack the 'protected' piece of gear!
I wouldn't count on a UPS to do anything other than take over when the
power dips or fails. I do a lot of CAD work & programming at work & home
so I can't afford to have a power dip cause lost work. UPS's are so cheap
these days, they pay for themselves very quickly.
Regards...
David Duffy Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362 Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au