[H-GEN] U.P.S

Hog Snort Rupert mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 16 18:15:11 EDT 2002

G'day,
I was given an  APC UPS with 4 outlet sockets, some eight months ago.
I think it is quite old, but works fine with all the small outages we seem to
get in the Corinda area.

A test with just one boxen attached [no monitor] showed that the E Smith
router/firewall would run for +/- 10 minutes, after the UPS was unplugged from
the wall.
I guess that a pair of new batteries would see it run for a little/lot longer.
But I don’t know what the ‘norm’ is for these things.

It is the model with 2 x 12 volt sealed batteries, in series.
The footprint is about the same as an AT boxen [but a good deal heavier!!!].

My question is
What software is needed by Linux? I thought this thing was just hardware.
A sort of ‘Plug in 'n leave alone’.
cheers Tony

--
because there was a seed
..............a pine has grown right here.