[H-GEN] U.P.S

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Mon Sep 16 22:17:38 EDT 2002

Hi All,

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 07:30, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> David Duffy <david at audiovisualdevices.com.au> writes:
>
> > Jason wrote:
> > >This brings me to a question I've been wanting to have answered for a
> > >few months now.  Is it actually possible/feasible to buy a UPS for
> > >the home environment that will protect the computer(s) plugged into it
> > >from a `direct' (FSVO) lightning strike?
> > Nothing is guaranteed with lightning.

I have seen a full brick house that had the bricks completely blown
apart in a direct lightning strike.  There was a power cable running
from in the ceiling to under the house, and another beside it to a light
switch.  The path the lightning took to ground *must* have been this
cable.  There was a "crack" down the wall about 8" wide where the bricks
used to be.

If you can find a UPS that can better handle itself in a stressful
situation than a brick wall, then I'd like to see it.  :)

> This is about what I figured/feared would be the case---after watching
> Jurrasic Park on the TV last night and seeing what nature can come up
> with (sort of...) I'm not really of a mind to believe there's much I
> can do.

Although it was a movie, it did have some interesting ideas!

> > It can strike a line, jump right around whatever protection you have
> > and still whack the 'protected' piece of gear!

If you *really* want to get spooked, google for information on ball
lightning.  That stuff is *freaky*.

> It looks as though I'd be better off spending time investing in a
> decent tape unit, then.

Always a good choice to have a backup.  Regardless of whether you choose
a UPS as well.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis