[H-GEN] Backups [was U.P.S]

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Sep 16 19:53:53 EDT 2002

> It looks as though I'd be better off spending time investing in a
> decent tape unit, then.

I'm now backing up to an ide drive mounted in an external firewire case.

I got this idea from our very own David Makepeace and have been most happy
with the result.  I think this is a great solution for a home user or a
small business.  My full system backups for 3 boxes take up about 8-9Gb,
so I can get quite a few full backups on my nice 80Gb drive.  If I used
incrementals I could extend this even further.  I use only a single
firewire HD but multiple could be used for added protection.

> jason, reserving judgment until hearing from APC

Make sure there is support for your OS.  I've seen at least one UPS that
claimed unix support in the documentation but nothing could be found
anywhere on the net to support this ascertion.  This was not an APC UPS.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119