[H-GEN] adsl provider and modems

David Duffy david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Thu Sep 12 08:02:47 EDT 2002

Me:
> > Rob Brockway helped a friend with Telstra ADSL and it was a real pain
> > to get going. My static Internode one here was very easy by comparison.

Michael:
>I'd be interested to know how you find Internode.  I'm also considering
>switching to ADSL when I move in a few weeks.  I've been talking to people
>in #linuxaus and at least one person has bagged them saying that their
>performance is crap and that I should use Telstra.  Given the plan
>differences I really don't want to use Telstra.... plus I really would like
>to run my own mail and web servers and while this is possible on Telstra it
>does break the AUP as far as I can tell.  It seems that Internode does not
>have a problem with this (again, as far as I can tell).

Apart from one hiccup getting them to do secondary DNS (on a Saturday)
they've been very good. Hey, they even acknowledge us Linux users!  :-)
I'm quite happy with both of my Internode ADSL connections and the price
plans worked out much better than Telstra. I think I average 25-30KB/sec
here at home (256/64) and about 50KB/sec at work (512/128) which is a
heap better than my old UQ dial-up and Telstra Direct 56K connections!
The staff are helpful, the minimum contract is 3 months & price is good.
I actually got the home connection going myself in about an hour which is
not bad seeing I'm only a Linux newbie. Sure, you have to buy your own
ADSL modem but I don't see that as a problem at all. Geez, I sound like
I have shares in Internode!!  <VBG>  Just a happy (twice) customer.
Regards...
David Duffy Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362 Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au