[H-GEN] adsl provider and modems

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 10 09:26:56 EDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:38:46 +1000 (EST) Rob Unsworth <rob at unsworth.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, David Duffy wrote:
> > Josh:
> > >I am about to take the step of moving to adsl and wanted to get some advise.
> > >Firstly, I'm contemplating going with pacific.net.au and was wondering if
> > >anyone is with them and how good/bad you've found the service?
> > I looked at Pacific but Internode worked out cheaper for larger downloads.
> > I've got Internode ADSL at home and at work. Runs like a dream.  :-)
> I have Pacific and an DSL-300 ethernet Modem, Runs like a dream also. I
> just looked at internode and could find their pricing. When I have trouble
> finding things on a site I assume it reflects their service.

I'm using Apple Communications here in Sydney - I'm not sure whether they
are in Brisbane yet. Their service appears to be quite good but then again
I haven't really had to test it for clues. OTOH, the ethernet dsl modem they
supplied, a SpeedStream 5260, works like a charm.

solaris/x86 +
            +- Sun IPX (2 interfaces) - speedstream - applecomm.net
win2k       +

I'm using debian 3.0/sparc and rp-pppoe as supplied with debian -- got
it up and running (and then very quickly iptabled) without having to
refer to any manual or booting into win2k to verify the pppoe stuff.

I'm paying $75/mo for the 3Gb/month @ 512k/128k plan which suits me just
fine and allows me to work from home quite well.

James
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW