[H-GEN] Database Indexing

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sun Sep 8 20:31:55 EDT 2002

Nikolai Lusan wrote:

| I was wondering what peoples
| thoughts on the availble indexing methods and their appropriate usage
| were.

My approach to this (as with many similar questions) is to use
the default (on the grounds that it is the default for a reason
that its authors have considered in depth).  If I encounter some
actual performance problem, I then profile the application to
see where the bottleneck is and I attend to that.  So far, with
PostgreSQL, it has never been index performance, so I've stuck
to the defaults.  Do you have a performance problem, or is this
just a general question?

Greg