[H-GEN] Bigpond mail server

Tony Bilbrough mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 7 05:46:36 EDT 2002

G'day All,
Well after almost a week of wondering how to solve the problem of being
unable to send mail out to Bigpond, and thence the rest of ‘wide blue
yonder’, the riddle is solved!

The problem was made a little more interesting in that I could receive
all my mail, I could use the web to search and download stuff, but just
could not send out any email.
- Yes of course one could use one of the html jobbies like Yahoo or,
heaven forbid the Microsoft.’s Hotmail.

Yep, I did the old ‘ping’ bit, from two computers, with 5 different
email clients, and 3 different o/s.
I felt there was enough of a mix there to finally convince me that the
problem was really not mine.
But why hadn’t I heard howls of rage from any the others, particularly
the Windows users?

Telstra did not perceive they had a problem, as there was little posted
on their site. Just a couple of Mac users on the rampage about it,
interestingly enough.

*anyway
For Linux users the solution is really simple.
Do not use the ‘mail-hub.qld.bigpond.net.au’ as your out going mail
server address, and instead, create one of your own mail server.
This is just too easy if you already run E Smith as router/firewall etc.

It’s part of the standard configuration, is a Mail Server! Heh, heh.

So a quick edit of the emailer of choice [or all, to be safe] to just
‘mail’
[with the ‘-hub.qld.bigpond.net.au’ edited out],
and bingo the whole box and dice is up and running again, directly  from
the Home system to Big World

So, I am wondering if there are any other cable users who had the
problem?
It worked fine as it was for 2 years, and suddenly fell over this
Monday!!!

My thanks to Alan Harrison for his guidance, today.
cheers Tony Bilbrough
--
Laugh often
..............long and aloud.