[H-GEN] eeprom tools

Douglas C chexsum at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 4 04:03:03 EDT 2002

On 04 Sep 2002 07:56:55 +1000
Robert Stanford <rob at rotapile.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 22:08, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > >
> > > I am keen to build this one day, making the circut boards could be
> > > expensive....
> > >  If anyone else is keen...
> >
> > This would rock for boot roms...
>
> You can get eprom burner kits from Dick Smith, they are round the 100
> and something dollar mark.
>
> Robert Stanford
>

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

Buying an EPROM Programmer would be easier than building one and dont forget the
EPROM Eraser also (half the cost of the programmer although they used to cost
more). :P

I used EPROM Chips 10 years ago and havent kept up with writable (and especially
bootable) ROM technology but I know EEPROM/FLASH/CDROM are easier to manage than
EPROM. Your choice in media depends on what you want to do though and I just
joined this list so missed the original post.

Im sure you know the benefits of CDROM (dirt cheap and well supported boot media
for PCs) and EEPROM/FLASH (more support than EPROM and FLASH especially in SBCs)
can be programmed alot easier and erased ALOT quicker than EPROM. Id use EPROM
only to achieve simple design of a board and if thats your aim then see my first
paragraph. :)

You may prefer a single board computer (disk on chip and flash rom) if you just
want an easy to develop solution to interface some hardware and theres some
links below to checkout if this is your desire.

http://www.pc104.org/
http://www.zflinux.com/
http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/

NB. this is my first post so dont complain about formatting yet. :)

--
Douglas C (Chexsum)
chexsum at optusnet.com.au