[H-GEN] Static IP address

Paul Clarke paul at qfm.org.au
Wed Oct 30 15:38:57 EST 2002

Hi all,

This will be an easy one, but as I am a complete novice, I simply do not
know the answer. I know that the lease will probably keep the current IP
but .. call me retentive!

All my servers have a static IP, My new (first) Debian box has been
setup with a dynamic IP. How do I change it?

I can change it with ifconfig eth0 10.100.182.5 netmask 255.255.254.0
broadcast 10.100.183.255 and the ip changes however it doesn't stick
after a reboot.

The trick is obviously to edit the interfaces file, but I can't find the
syntax for the line. My interfaces file says:

Auto eth0
Iface eth0 inet dhcp

Thanks

Paul.