FW: [H-GEN] SSH PROBLEM

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Oct 28 18:58:03 EST 2002

On 28 Oct 2002, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> I would recommend using netcat (aka "nc") where possible; it does
> (IMHO) a much better job of connecting to a socket at one and, a file
> descriptor at the other, and mediating between the two without the
> protocol overhead of telnet; it's also capable of doing a few things
> which aren't (as far as I know) possible with telnet[1].

Oh definately.  Netcat is a great diagnostic tool.  With a simple test
recommended over email like this I prefer to suggest telnet as I know
it'll be there (unless specifically removed).  Saves the user mailing me
back 6 hours later saying he doesn't have netcat :)

I do 2nd Jason's recomendation to use netcat in the general case though.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119