[H-GEN] html/dhtml/javascript editors

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Sun Oct 27 23:33:29 EST 2002

There are a number of html editors available for linux (not too
many), and I'm just wondering which ones are "highly regarded" by
those here who are more experienced with pumping out web pages.

There are two that seem to dominate google searches:
CoffeeCup	(free, not open source, released early 2000)
Bluefish	(gpl, v0.7, Feb 2002)

Searches at sourceforce.net and freshmeat.net brings up only a few
(many are windows only, and others have no release files available).
For example:
 richtext	(v0.3.0-beta-1, Aug 2002)
 screem		(v0.5.5, Sept 2002)
 GHE		(v0.1, Apr 2002, Gnome HTML Editor)
 quanta		(v3.0, Sept 2002, qt/kde-based, also a commercial
		"gold" version for ~$US40)

There's also WebSphere from IBM (Aug 2000, 60-day trial),
EWebEditPro (v2.1, $US299), August (Tcl/TK, v0.63b, Apr 2001), and a
few others that don't sound so useful or mature (erwin, gnif,
peacock etc).

Not to mention vi... vi/vim/gvim is my current html editor :)

Any advice on which direction to take would be most welcome.

Cheers
Tony