[H-GEN] vim question

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed Oct 23 21:41:03 EDT 2002

On Wed Oct 23 2002 at 18:33, Robert Stanford wrote:

> I've had an issue with vi/vim for a while that's finaly itched me enough
> to ask for some help.
>
> Quite often when I paste into a file with the middle mouse button each
> successive line is indented one step further than the previous. The
> extra spaces seem to be taken up with tabs, yet if I paste from one of
> these files into say this email then it looks like it should. [1]

You must have autoindent and/or smartindent turned on.  You can turn
this off with :noai or :nosi (in command mode).

If you are really lazy or want to ensure "pure" whitespace and other
character translation, do it like this...  :r!cat (return)
Then do your paste and end it with a ctrl-D to have the result
included into your text.

Cheers
Tony