[H-GEN] Memory useage

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 18 00:13:59 EDT 2002

 --- Harry Phillips <hphillips at 4ward.com.au> wrote:
> I just checked my sever using top and it indicated the memory usage as
> Mem:   255760K av,  252012K used,    3748K free
>
> Is it normal to have less than 4M free out of 256M?

The classic "Where's my memory" problem.  Free memory is automatically used
for disk caches and buffers, the reported free memory is what is left over.
 When some process needs more memory than is available out of your "free"
memory, the buffers and caches reduce themselves, giving you more "free"
memory.  So, yes it is normal.  Try the "free" command.

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!