[H-GEN] Installing on a laptop

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Tue Oct 15 21:08:45 EDT 2002

On Wed Oct 16 2002 at 09:30, "alexr" wrote:

> I have a sony Vaio laptop (model PCG FX950 from memory)which I want to
> set up with Linux.  Anybody done this before on this model or similar
> models?  It has been a while since I have installed Linux (I tried it a
> few years ago and I couldn't get X to work with my graphics card and I

I'm not familiar with the vaio laptops, but I suspect that your
issues with using linux on it in the past are no longer an issue.
The more recent drivers in XFree86 v4.x support a very wide variety
of cards, so I would suggest that you check the hardware support at
www.xfree86.org (and/or similar pages for the distro you intend to
use, eg, hardware.redhat.com/hcl/) and see if the graphics (and
sound) chipsets for your laptop are supported.  I'd be suprised if
they aren't.   (Mind you, v4.x has removed lots of older "legacy"
drivers, you may need to use the v3.3.x drivers if that's the case
for you).

> found the command line a little limiting, so I dumped it), and I have

Huh?  Limiting????

  I cut my teeth with linux way ago (and dos long before that) on a
  386dx33/8Mb/trident8900c, and using X on it was like swimming in
  50 fathoms of molassas :-)

  For me, I regard the command line as "normal" and very much
  second-nature, it is where the *real* power of unix (linux) lies.
  I was, and could still be, happily productive with a unix box
  without any X at all (that is if I didn't require it for the
  specific task in hand).

> heard it can be difficult on laptops.  Any tips?  If I bring it along
> to a meeting can someone help me out if I get stuck?

Bring it to a meeting if you do have hassles would be an excellent
idea.

Cheers
Tony
(back again after stuffups by my _former_ DNS hosting ISP:)
  Tony Nugent <Tony at linuxworks.com.au>
  LinuxWorks - Gold Coast Qld Australia