[H-GEN] dhcp, xterms and xdm

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Oct 15 19:25:09 EDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Nikolai Lusan wrote:

> I use the 10.1.1.0/24 network segment for this part of my home network
> and the xterm can get tftp and XDMCP sessions (for xdmcp I have to
> provide the host name) and my machine has xdm configured to handle
> broadcast requests. My dhcpd config has the entry for the network
> segement supplying both the broacast-address and subnet-mask options,
> however after the dhcp requests have taken place the terminal still
> reports broacast of 255.0.0.0 and a netmask of 10.255.255.255. I am
> thinking that this improper network setup may be causing some problems.

If your Xterminal is very old it may not speak CIDR.  In the pre CIDR days
of classful routing the subnet size was determined by the first 3 bits of
the IP address.  Your Xtermin could be seeing the address & slotting
itselv into a Class A (/8) regardless of what else you are telling it.
It is entirely possible that its implementation of DHCP doesn't listen for
anyting like a netmask.  Setup an IP alias on your dhcp server and hand
out a 192.168 address to it.  See if this fixes the problem.  If
successful, this may require a partial renumbering of your home.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119