[H-GEN] CVS is very very slow ...

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 10 23:02:57 EDT 2002

Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Greg Black wrote:
>

>>I have one additional data point.  I only use CVS over SSH and I
>>am always astonished at just how slow it is -- in my case, this

My experience with CVS has been good.  Client boxen are mostly m$
running w2k, server is Debian potato with CVS packaged, on an old PIII
with IDE disks and a crappy rtl8139 network card.  We have about 5
different people actively using it.

> Have you tried compressing the ssh link?  I've setup cvs over ssh for the
> developers here at work.  It'll be interesting to see if they complain.

If there is no suggestion of a man-in-the-middle attack, ie you have a
straight-thru route from a workstation in the workplace, to the CVS
server, both behind a firewall, why not turn encryption off?  Just use
the SSH for its tunneling.
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ig25/ssh-faq/ssh-faq-4.html#ss4.2

> We have 10Mbit/sec to the desktop (short sightedness in building design)
> so if they checkout large amounts of data I could see a noticable delay.

Our projects are not huge, but there are no server side scripts (yet).
Maybe that's the problem for the OP.

I have no actual experience of it, but I understand Cruise Control
rather than firing on commits, runs every hour (or whatever you specify)
to do its test builds, update doco, send email or whatever.
http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/main/index.html

We may go this way for CVS server side test/build automation, tho'
CruiseControl itself is pretty much a Java creature.

--
--- Sarah Hollings                 <sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au>
--- IT Manager            Ph +61 7 3365 6080  Fax +61 7 3365 6171