[H-GEN] iTEL as an ADSL provider

Andrae Muys amuys at contal.net.au
Tue Oct 8 19:34:59 EDT 2002

Hilton Travis wrote:

> Hi Andrae,
>
> On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:39, Andrae Muys wrote:
>
>>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>>
>>My father is looking for an ADSL provider for the charity he runs, he is
>>currently talking to iTEL.  I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of
>>them (good, bad, indifferent)?
>>
>>In the medium term he will be needing to run his own web/mail/etc servers.
>>
>>Andrae
>

> I have not dealt with iTel myself, but if you could tell me the required
> bandwidth, download traffic needed per month, and the rough prices I'll
> also have a look around for suppliers - I have a few clients looking
> into ADSL at the moment.

Well as this is a charity that has been using an intermittent 56k modem
connection cost is the primary factor.  I had a talk to the iTel guy
yesterday, and was pleased with his realistic approach to the issue (OS?
we don't care which OS you use;  Monkey get IP address; Monkey use IP
address; Monkey pay for traffic used and monkey-keeper no-care what monkey
use as long as monkey not spam"[0].

As the need to re-establish a network connection is rather critical my
father has gone ahead and signed on to iTel.  If anyone's interested I'll
let the list know of my experiences.  Beyond that, the contract is only for
6-months, and cost is important, so any pointers to methods of keeping the
cost down would be appreciated.

Andrae

P.S.  Anyone have a cheap box spare suitable for use as a
router/firewall/NAT-gateway for the connection?  The best I have atm is a
486 which dosn't have PCI unfortunately.  If it can house 2xPCI 100Mb cards
and run either Linux or *BSD I'd be happy :)

[0] Paraphrased naturally ;)