[H-GEN] test....

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 3 20:13:16 EDT 2002

Bradley Marshall wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Sandra Milne wrote:
>
>>I haven't had any messages from the list all week. Is it me?
>
> So, instead of posting Yet Another Test Message, why not start
> a useful discussion?  Test messages are rarely of use to anyone.

OK - this'll cause a few feathers to fly ...  ;-)

Has anyone used Visual Basic on linux?

<waits for sounds of jaws dropping....>

Context is that I have to maintain some legacy VB code.  Of course I am
trying to apply the same principles of good software engineering
practice and project mechanics that I would for a Unix/C++ or Java
project:
** code goes in CVS (accessed via ssh to our linux CVS server here)
** tests are automated and post commit scripts can try doing a build
    to ensure code checked in builds cleanly
** doc-gen programs can generate doco on-the-fly but might rely on a
    native compiler

The first one is fairly easy and we're doing that now.  Turns out that
unlike most other m$ formats VB source code files (even Forms) are just
plain text and CVS keyword replacement works just fine.

The next one is a bit trickier - most testing is of course done on the
client coding stations, but it would be nice to have some simple post
build tests, like cruise control.  You could presumably use WINE to run
vb6.exe /make...  <cue howls of pain>

The last one?  Perl 6 and vb6 working hand-in-hand....?

<cue apopleptic rage>

--
--- Sarah Hollings                 <sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au>
--- IT Manager            Ph +61 7 3365 6080  Fax +61 7 3365 6171