[H-GEN] Mozilla, style sheets, and Microsoft's knowledge base

ben.carlyle at invensys.com ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Thu Nov 14 23:47:56 EST 2002

David Jericho <david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au>
Sent by: Majordomo <majordom at caliburn.humbug.org.au>
15/11/02 10:42
Please respond to general

        To:     general at lists.humbug.org.au
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [H-GEN] Mozilla, style sheets, and Microsoft's knowledge base

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:04:53AM +1100, David Seikel wrote:
> > My experience with Windows is that a reinstall once a month is
mandatory.

> There are a few easy steps to making windows stable.

> <snip: good advice and instruction>

> Using the above methods, I've had stable and reliable Windows installs
> that have lasted two years.

The laptop I used throughout uni and which I wrote my honours thesis on
still carries it's initial install of windows 95. By applying meticulous
care to what is installed on the machine I've kept it a useful box for
word-processing and playing minesweeper to this very day. One of the
reasons for my level of care for this machine was that I didn't want to
lose my thesis (or the latest version thereof) due to some windows
corruption[1] and another was that I wanted to keep a linux install on the
machine as well[2]. The lesson to be learned, I think, is to be clear on
what you want the windows installation to give you and install as little
as you can to achieve this functionaly. Of course, browser testing might
lead you have to install loads of crud as various internet-related
applications creep onto your machine and start to destroy it from the
inside... but for simple applications you can actually get away with it.

Of course, that's not to say that windows is ready for prime time yet.

Benjamin.

[1] Now I don't want to hear the word LaTEX, kiddies...
[2] Back then it really was possible to fit a pretty standard linux
distrubution alongside a windows installation sharing an 800 meg drive.