[H-GEN] Mozilla, style sheets, and Microsoft's knowledge base

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Nov 15 02:36:05 EST 2002

"3 Blokes" wrote:

| Jason Parker-Burlingham" <jasonp at uq.net.au> writes:
|
| > > My experience with Windows is that a reinstall once a month is mandatory.
| >
| > Oh you have simply *got* to be joking.
|
| I reinstall at least once a month, but I use my computer in ways that most
| people don't and due to the nature of my work it becomes necessary.  I also
| enjoy having a nice clean computer, free of the junk that accumulates.
|
| What I'm saying here is that whether you need to format month/weekly/yearly
| or whatever all depends on how you use your computer, I've had a 98 install
| on my parents P166 for around three years now, and it still runs like new,
| why?, because my parents don't use their computer to do anything but
| Hotmail, usually once a day, where as a clean 2k or XP install on my
| computer will be unusable within two or three months.
|
| Saying that he has "got to be joking" is ignorant in my opinion, it all
| depends on the situation you are dealing with.

The OP said it was "mandatory", not that it depended on how the
system was used.  That deserved the "got to be joking" response.

If there is special and far from usual use envisaged, otherwise
excessive maintenance might be called for.

I recently replaced the engine in my car with an engine that was
used by its original owner in the manner envisaged by the
factory.  After doing a little less than 1,000 km (that's not a
typo), the engine was stripped down and completely rebuilt,
according to the factory's normal maintenance schedule.

But, even though I plan to hammer this engine while it's in my
car, I confidently expect it to last for around 100,000 km
before its next rebuild.  My use is what you might call "normal
to severe".  The original use was what I'd call "special" and
explains the unusually short maintenance interval.  When the
circumstances are explained, this is easy enough to understand.

But, to suggest that monthly reinstalls of Windows are to be
seen as mandatory is ludicrous, unless special circumstances
exist and are explained.

Greg