[H-GEN] Mozilla, style sheets, and Microsoft's knowledge base

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon Nov 11 22:21:19 EST 2002

David Seikel <won_fang at yahoo.com.au> writes:

>  --- Jason Parker-Burlingham <jasonp at uq.net.au> wrote:
> > Since I now have an interest in keeping a Windows 98 box as stable as
> > I can

> I have a similar interest in keeping a Win98 box stable, but only
> for testing browser compatability.  My solution (when I finally get
> the hardware to build the box) is to install and configure Win98
> ONCE, then boot the machine from a Linux boot floppy, and use dd to
> copy the installed hard drive to my Linux server.  When Win98
> becomes unstable, I can just use dd to recover the pristine,
> properly configured installation.

That may be an option once I get some hardware upgrades going around
here[1] (read:  when I have money---does anyone on the list have
contacts in Rochester, NY?) but for the time being my plan is to
_carefully_ install MicroSoft's updates on an as-needed basis while
keeping an eye out for a legitimately licensed upgrade, and keep a
tight reign on the software which is installed or deinstalled.

So far it actually seems to be working well (upgrading to Gnus for
mail and news, freeing up Mozilla 1.0 for web browsing only seems to
have helped on the whole, although the increased memory usage is a bit
rough).  I think it may also have something to do with the fact that
the owner of the computer isn't installing games, flash players and
all that guff.

jason

[1] : I've done some pretty similar things in the past, especially to
      laptops.  It works best if the Linux system is on the same disk,
      or at least inside the same machine, rather than across a
      network, where the copying can take *hours*.
--
| ``It's just a big electric typewriter.''                              |