[H-GEN] Single CPU shows up as dual CPU.

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sun Nov 3 21:13:44 EST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Ewan Edwards wrote:

> I suppose my question comes down to this.  What would be the consequences of
> continuing to use the SMP kernel vs using the standard (single CPU) kernel,
> and which one should I be using?  (I haven't yet tried booting it with the
> stadard kernel.)

It should always be safe to run an SMP capable kernel on a box with only 1
cpu (unless there's a bug in the detection routing).  Can't say I've ever
seen a box list usage stats for more cpus that it has though.

Are you sure it only has 1 cpu?  The top output your pasted really looks
like 2 real cpus. What do you get if you cat /proc/cpuinfo ?

If it does only have 1 cpu, reboot the box & pass the switch "nosmp" to
the kernel on boot (using your preferred boot loader).

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119