[H-GEN] Very irritating sendmail problem

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Nov 2 02:40:02 EST 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Sarah Walters wrote:

> sarah at tempus etc$ host localhost. localhost.
> Using domain server:
> Name: localhost.walters.id.au
> Addresses: 127.0.0.1
>
> Host not found.
> ---
>
> This worries me, and might be the real cause. If localhost resolves to
> walters.homeunix.org, and then a reverse lookup is done on the IP I'll

localhost. should only ever resolve to 127.0.0.1.  Do you have this:

127.0.0.1       localhost

in your /etc/hosts file, and what order does the resolver librar use?
Use:

hosts:		files dns

in /etc/nsswitch.conf (assuming F/BSD has an nsswitch.conf, but I'm 95%
sure it does).

> get a Telstra IP. Can someone please tell me if I'm going in the right
> direction here? Now I've got to try and remember the root password
> (grumble).

Localhost being broken may not be the core problem with sendmailb ut
you''ll need to fix this to be able to burrow deeper down into the
problems with your MTA.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119