[H-GEN] Compressing ISO images (Was: Darwin ?)

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Sat May 25 08:27:51 EDT 2002

Sandra Milne <silne at optushome.com.au> writes:

> At 20:08 25/05/2002 +1000, you wrote:
> >http://planetmirror.com/pub/darwin/1.4/release/darwinx86-141.iso.gz
> sorry to change tack, but does gzipping an iso make much difference to
> the size?

It would appear the answer is "yes, perhaps":

$ HEAD http://planetmirror.com/pub/darwin/1.4/release/darwinx86-141.iso.gz
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 12:22:19 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
ETag: "3a54b0-e582cd5-3bbe71cf"
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2 mod_layout/3.0.3
Last-Modified: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 02:51:59 GMT
Client-Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 12:22:19 GMT
Client-Response-Num: 1

I'm assuming, of course, that the ISO expands to a full 650MB or so;
perhaps someone on a faster connection could bother to download and
uncompress the whole thing to say so for sure.

I also know that other filesystem images compress quite well (linux
root-boot floppies, dump(8) images, and so on).  The issue is really
the content, not the fact that it's a filesystem image.

jason
--
| `This is the operative statement.                                     |