[H-GEN] Do I have to use Gnome?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat May 18 22:05:07 EDT 2002

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Jimmy Freese wrote:

> Yep, this is pretty much what I do all the time. For some reason I think I
> like it this way but am open to suggestions to make things easier.

Well, you can start X from the command line with startx which is really a
front end to xinit.  Or you can use a member of the display manager family
to log into X.  Candidates include xdm,kdm & gdm.

All display managers I've seen obey the existance of a .xsession file.
They will executr whatever is in there in preference to the defaults.
This is the correct place for a user to put their preference.

Similarly, startx reads the contents of .xinitrc.

Put your WM as your last line in either file & not background it.

It is possible to link these 2 files together so you get the same
environment whether you login using a display manager or whether you use
startx.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119