[H-GEN] Mailman

Sarah Walters sarah at uow.edu.au
Thu May 16 02:45:14 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 04:39:25PM +1000, Raymond Smith wrote:
> > I could, but all_general_staff consists of admin_users_all and other lists,
> > admin_users_all consists of ard_all and other lists and people who are just
> > in there, ard_all consists of ard_secretariat and other lists
>
> Would chaining the lists (so admin_users_all would be subscribed to
> all_general_staff) help? Besides the obvious ease at which mail-loops
> could formed it seems to me that this might offer you the kludge you are
> looking for...

Well, at the moment we're looking at putting admin_users_all into all_general_staff, and all_general_staff into all_staff. The problem will be a matter of
where a staff member is in two lists, and therefore gets two emails. Majordomo,
as I said, handles this as follows :

:include:/packages/majordomo/lists/arts_academics_all
:include:/packages/majordomo/lists/cedir_academics
:include:/packages/majordomo/lists/commerce_academics
:include:/packages/majordomo/lists/engineering_academics

I believe this is a sendmail thing (don't know a lot about sendmail or lists).
I was mainly asking because I've noticed that humbug uses mailman, and wondered
if anyone on these lists has encountered the same problem and done something
about it.

Mrs Sarah Walters					sarah at uow.edu.au
Information Technology Services				Bld 17 Level 2
The University of Wollongong				Ph: +61 2 4221 3775