[H-GEN] Managing multiple child processes with perl

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Mon May 13 02:49:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:23:30PM +1000, Michael Anthon wrote:
> This means that I am gzipping all 30G or so twice, which seems terribly
> inefficient to me.  So.. to get to my questions.  I am wanting to find a way
> to run the gzip processes in parallel (it's a dual CPU E250 running
> solaris).

Maybe I'm on the wrong track because the thought that came to mind was
tee(1), but I'll share anyway.

My thought was

cat datafile | gzip -zc | tee holdingdiskfile | dd if=- of=/dev/tape

or something along those lines. In short, tee takes stdin, sends a
copy to stdout, and also writes it to the file specified on the
command line.

--
David Jericho