[H-GEN] No Sound in RH 7.3 KDE3

Sarah Hollings sarahhollings at optushome.com.au
Sat May 11 04:10:19 EDT 2002

On Saturday 11 May 2002 17:26, spake thus:

> Oh btw, forgot to add that my device is the following:
> archer:/etc# ls -l /dev/dsp
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 13  2001 /dev/dsp
>

> perhaps you need to change the attributes and ownership of yours.

Despite the fact that artsd (the thing in KDE that I believe grabs hold of
dsp and does all the sound) runs as your user[1] adding myself to the audio
group seemed to make no difference.  Nothing except
   sudo chmod 0666 /dev/dsp
seemed to work for me.  btw if you get that working and find that you can
hear KDE's groovy window closing noises but xmms and others don't work, you
may find you have to kill off artsd to get xmms etc going.

Sez

Note [1[:  check - it does in mine -
ps axug | grep artsd