[H-GEN] No Sound in RH 7.3 KDE3

Sandra Milne silne at optushome.com.au
Sat May 11 03:24:53 EDT 2002

At 17:19 11/05/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>I do have /dev/dsp
>No sound at all
>I'm using kernel 2.4.18-3
>I have a creative128 sound card which worked perfectly in RH 7.2 And
>Mandrake 8.2
>[root at EIS root]# ls -l /dev/dsp
>crw-------    1 wolf     root      14,   3 Apr 12 00:25 /dev/dsp
>wolf is my user name

become root (su or fakeroot or sudo doesn't matter how). look in /etc/group
for a line that starts with: audio
at the end of the line, place your username. e.g. in my file the line is:

audio:x:29:

so it would become:

audio:x:29:silne

if I entered my username. (I haven't done this because our server, archer,
doesn't have a sound card)

HTH,

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au