[H-GEN] No Sound in RH 7.3 KDE3

Sandra Milne silne at optushome.com.au
Sat May 11 02:53:10 EDT 2002

At 16:24 11/05/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>Hello,
>         I keep getting this error everytime KDE3 starts in RH 7.3 -
>
>"ERROR While initializing the sound driver : device /dev/dsp can't be
>opened (no such device) the sound server will continue, using the null
>output device"
well, it could be either you don't have a device called /dev/dsp, or you're
not a member of the sound group. Do you have sound in console? Have you
recently compiled a new kernel? Are you using esound?

At least X runs for you. We get a 'no screens found' error on 2 separate
computers. No idea what's causing it or what to do about it. The driver is
the nv driver which we've used successfully with these video cards in the past.

Sandra.

silne at optushome.com.au
ICQ: 7632763
http://members.optushome.com.au/silne