[H-GEN] ADSL prices

Sarah Walters sarah at uow.edu.au
Mon May 6 21:21:32 EDT 2002

> Check your download limit on netspace
> 2.5 gb starts at $400 and something bucks
> Again bang for buck telstra comes out on top
>
> It seems to me no other ISP's come even remotly close to telstras ADSL prices
> And if they can beat it they put you on a very limited download limit
> I hear people say telstra holds us for ransom when it comes to broadband
> Looking for a cheap ADSL connection i find (for what i need) telstra wins

It really depends on how and when you use your connection. Pacific Internet
(we're with them for dialup, and their service and support is excellent) have
a good system. They start at $59.95 a month. For that you get 500mb at 256/64.
For an extra $10 you get 512/128. This includes 500 mb a month downloads. This
isn't so great, but you're after speed rather than increased downloads it's a
fair deal. 1000MB extra costs $30 a month, so if you're going to be pulling
down heaps during the day Telstra is probably a better bet. Out of hours though,
things change. For $10 a month, you get unlimited downloads between 1am and 8am.
If you go over 10GB in a month they will reduce your bandwidth if it's busy.
For $20 a month, you can get unlimited downloads 12am saturday - 8am monday,
that's all weekend. You can add any of the above expenses in the combinations
you prefer. There's no contract if you're willing to pay a slightly higher
installation fee ($75 extra), so you've got the flexibility to move if a
competitor's prices are better.

Best of all, for certain hours of the day they have linux support, not "We
don't support linux. Goodbye" as we got from our previous ISP.

Mrs Sarah Walters					sarah at uow.edu.au
Information Technology Services				Bld 17 Level 2
The University of Wollongong				Ph: +61 2 4221 3775