[H-GEN] Best Easy Firewall

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Tue May 7 01:14:54 EDT 2002

Hi Rob,

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:38, Rob Unsworth wrote:
> On 7 May 2002, Hilton Travis wrote:
> >You will need to be aware that the IPCop team are rather lax with
> >relation to security updates.  The only reason they released the squid
> >update was that both Lawrence and myself sent a number of emails to
> >their team suggesting that they looked at the latest squid advisory and
> >released an appropriate patch.  This was a few weeks after the advisory
> >was released.
>
> The impression i got from the Smoothwall site is that they still use a
> 2.2.xx kernel and ipchains with apparently no intent to upgrade, and have
> plans for an ipchains config tool.
>
> I hope that is wrong.
>
> Rob.

Currently, SmoothWall GPL and SmoothWall Corporate Server are both based
on the 2.2.20 kernel and ipchains.  There is a module available for
Corporate Server that allows editing of the ipchains rules, as well as a
number of places in the relevant sections of the interface that you can
make settings changes that affect the ipchains ruleset.

As far as I am aware, there are no *immediate* plans to upgrade to a
2.4.x kernel with iptables.  That doesn't mean there are no future
plans, just that it is not happening in the immediate future as far as I
know.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis