[H-GEN] Assistance Required

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Tue Mar 26 23:20:49 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 10:14, Jason Henry Parker wrote:
> > >  * If it works, buy a sodding tape drive already.  Two if possible.
> > Or burn CDs. For a business, that can be nicer; creates a nice archive
> > that lasts for a while.
> Sure.  Either-or.  Both if possible.

Yes. For a system wide backup, something with larger capacity (and more
speed) may be required.

But to backup things like contact/customer database, e-mails, business
administration (invoices, fin.books, etc), etc.... a CD-R can do a very
nice job with very little hassle for the user.
This is important, because in a small company, there won't be an IT
person looking after the backups. It'll probably be the owner, and they
will have many things on their mind, few of which are technology
related. If technology is only a tool, that tool must be as easy as
possible.
In the minds of many, changing a CD is still easier than running a
rotating schedule of tapes...

> I liked Matthew's suggestion of a session at the meeting on Saturday.
> I'd be more than happy to present how I structure backups where I
> work; is anyone else interested in telling a story?

I'd love to be there, but I'm flying to Europe for our general staff
meeting. I guess that's the fun (as well as a downside) to being part of
a virtual company ;-)

Regards,
Arjen.

--