[H-GEN] DX 386

Sandra Milne silne at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 17 04:07:41 EST 2002

At 18:46 17/03/2002 +1000, Robert Stanford wrote:
>  Without a software based modem I'd assume a 386
>would handle the same load no problems.

I tried to get a 486 dx33 to do it. packets were being dropped all over the
place until the entire box fell over in a screaming heap. shoved in a 586
cpu and it now serves as our gateway. in fact, it's been our gateway ever
since we got cable. it stays up on average a month before the next power
outage resets our uptime. hasn't had a kernel update in a while, but that
would be the 0 available disk space. (somehow we used up an entire 480meg
partition on the hard drive and we can't locate where the kruft has
accumulated) it's occasionally stubborn, and we've had some weirdness with
it (it suddenly decided that eth0 was going to be eth1 and vice versa and
would not be told otherwise) but all in all we love our little ezri[1] :-)

Sandra.

[1] Yes I am star trek mad. for those who want to know, my main machine is
jeri (as in jeri ryan)