[H-GEN] samba-swat

Bradley Marshall zzbramar at uqconnect.net
Mon Mar 11 23:37:53 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Paul Cornford wrote:

> >This may be a silly question, but ...
> >Is there an http server running on that machine?
> >
> Definitely. It's serving up the default Apache test page when I request
> "http://localhost".

That's a http server that's bound to port 80 - unless you've
done some (minor) trickery with apache, it will not be
serving for port 901.

> Funny thing though, while my dialup is connected I
> can't seem to get anything else locally. Netscape just takes me to
> "search.netscape.com".

This is probably a problem with your proxy settings - make
sure you're not always using the proxy for local hosts.

> I noticed yesterday that while disconnected, I
> had to append the "/" on the end of all the local URL's. I did play
> around with the Apache settings yesterday though but I don't remember
> changing anything and have checked these since. A DNS problem perhaps?

To fix the problem of not being able to get to a directory
unless you have a / at the end, you need to make sure your
apache server knows what its local hostname is.

If you request a directory without the trailing /, apache
needs to do a redirect back to your local server with a /
appended.  Obviously, if it doesn't know what a valid dns
hostname is that refers to your box, it won't work.

Thanks,
Brad
         | Bradley Marshall    | http://www.uq.net.au/~zzbramar |
         | System/Network Admin|      brad at humbug.org.au        |
         | Plugged In Software |    bmarshal at plugged.net.au     |
 ``I'm not ashamed.  Its the computer age.  Nerds are in.'' - Willow (BtVS)