[H-GEN] ADSL providers

Everist, Geoff everistg at switch.aust.com
Sat Mar 9 00:36:11 EST 2002

Gah...damn I hate Lotus Notes...the crosses we have to bear...

Anyway, we use Pacific Internet for business with a static IP address,
etc, etc. I find their tech support and reliability of their part of the
network to be quite good. However, they are basically reselling Telstra
ADSL, and the performance of the Telstra  bit is far from adequate at the
moment. Over the past few months we have experienced periods of major
packet loss. We also had a 24 hour outage due to a problem with Telstra
equipment over which PI had no control.

As far as I can determine, one of the main causes of problems is the gear
Telstra use to handle PPPOE connections. There are known bugs which have
not been addressed as yet. There is one failure mode which caused the 24
hour outage where the entire link needs to be reconfigured to resolve the
problem. If you do go for ADSL, insist on an Ethernet Bridge type modem,
as they do not seem to be prone to the same problems.

One of the nice things about PI is that the offer an emegency dial-up link
for when the ADSL service goes arse up, which as you can see from the
above is very useful.

On the downside, they proxy all traffic that uses port 80 through a Squid
based cluster. I have had a few minor problems with this, but overall it
has been OK if you don't violently object to being proxied.

Hope this is useful,

Regards
Geoff Everist

Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org>