[H-GEN] Samba & Printers

Christian "Vic" Bullow vicomte at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 6 20:27:28 EST 2002

Once again I am tackling an issue I have had for a while, as a diversion
from the real work I should be doing. I can't seem to get it working at
all, and yet I used to have it work about a year or so ago. I don't know
whats changed in the interim, but I have a network of windows box's with
my linux box as the gateway and print server and pretty much everything
I want.

Sorry, with what I do Windows OS's seem to be a necessary evil.

Anyway, without actually knowing where to go forward from where I am, I
will explain whats going on.

I have a raw printcap entry, which relies on the client machines to have
the drivers installed locally.

vicomte at hermes:/etc$ cat printcap
raw:\
        :rw:sh:sf:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/samba:\
        :fx=flp:

In smb.conf I will copy those lines I think are relevant;

[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
[printer]
   comment = Raw Printer Share
   path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
   public = Yes
   printer admin = administrator, vicomte
   create mask = 0777
   guest ok = Yes
   printable = Yes
   writeable = No
   printing = lprng
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -r -P%p %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -U%U@%M -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -U%U@%M -P%p %j
   lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M hold %p %j
   lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M release %p %j
   queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc  -U%U@%M -P%p stop
   queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M -P%p start
   printer name = raw
   use client driver = Yes

The printer is recognised on boot by the kernel, I can print locally
from the server to the printer but can't be printed from over the
network. The printer is shared and can be seen from over the network.
Drivers are installed locally, but Win2k can't activate a connection to
the printer.

Idea's would be appreciated. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Christian