[H-GEN] Family mail server

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Mar 2 22:46:25 EST 2002

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Peter Arnold wrote:

> For "collecting" mail may I suggest fetchmail which can fetch mail from
> a variety of accounts and servers (pop, imap, exchange etc) and send
> them to your local smtp server. From there you can serve them as you
> wish. I use an IMAP server working with sendmail such that I can connect
> to it with a variety of clients (web when I'm at work, nutscrape when
> I'm home and my wife has her own preferences)

This is exactly the configuration I was going to suggest.

Fetchmail (configured for pop) to grab the mail.

Sendmail (or another MTA) running on the box, as fetchmail will feed the
mail via port 25. [1]

Local user accounts where the mail is dumped for each person.

Each person would then use imap to read the mail, this way all mail stays
on the server (sure, pop will do this, but imap is a bit nicer).

Each user is free to use whatever mail client on whatever platform they
wish.

[1]  You could later add spam assassin as a procmail rule and use procmail
as the local delivery agent :)  This does an excellent job of
tagging/filtering spam.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 52 days, 12:10,  5 users,  load average: 1.97, 1.93, 1.91